Until the 16th century the Peter the Great Source remained a simple well, protected only by a modest niche. In 1717, Tsar Peter the Great, delighted by the useful effect of his treatment, left behind a memorial plate in black marble. The current building, the work of Architect Victor Besne, dates from 1880. The Peter the Great Source houses one of the city's most abundant and carbonated sources. Very rich in iron, laden with mineral salts and invigorating, it has a flow rate of about 21,000 liters per day. In the adjoining room (the Winter Garden), there is a monumental painting by Antoine Fontaine (1894). Almost a hundred characters, who have visited Spa over the centuries, are depicted.
Info Tourism office Place Royale, 41 - 4900 Spa
Tel. 087-79 53 53 Fax 087-79 53 54
The Sauvenière Source is the oldest, andthe most visited source of Spa in olden times. Saint Remaclus, Patron of Spa and the Ardennes, laid the foundation for this. According to legend, he printed his footprint in the rock at the source. As a result, it was considered miraculous by the population. In the 1300s, it became a place of pilgrimage for newlyweds. The water was said to promote the fertility of women. The English philosopher BERKELEY created several hiking trails in the area. In 1771, the courtyard, intended for visitors, was extended by Prince SANGUSKO, the Marshal of Lithuania.
Even more prominence was given to the Sauvenière Source when its water cured the Duchess of Orléans. She was the wife of the later Philippe EGALITE. It was the children of this Philippe (including Louis-Philippe, future King of France) who created the wonderful walk, "La promenade de la Duchesse d'Orléans". The current memorial "A la Reconnaissance", which is at the beginning of this walk, replaced the original, founded by the children d'Orléans, but which was later destroyed by the Jacobins.
It was Doctor de RYE, who first learned about the properties and qualities of the water from this source.
This source was mainly visited in the first years of the 17th century. The water was studied successively by De RYS and HEERS, doctors from the Land of Liège. Due to the actions of André TREVISIUS, personal physician of the Archdukes Albrecht and Isabella, it could be analyzed. Because it was collected in a small barrel, the source was named Tonnelet ('ton' being a word for barrel). The spring water is transported through underground pipes to the Bathhouse of the Spa Thermal Center.
This source was discovered in 1863 by pharmacist Schaltin in the basement of his home, called "Prince de Condé". He exploited it at the place where the water was collected. Up to the end of the last century, about 50,000 bottles were filled each year. After the Compagnie de Vichy first became the owner, the city of Spa could finally buy it in 1903.
The water of the Prince de Condé Source comes from the same subterranean stream as that of the Peter the Great Source and the Armes d'Autriche. Only in the last part of the underground flow is it loaded with a considerable amount of mineral elements. In harmony with the glass dome of the 19th century, the newly built pyramid (1988) aims to be an expression of this era, but at the same time be the first sign of the resurgence of the Place de l'Hôtel de Ville in the general framework of urban regeneration.
Very rich in sulfur and especially recommended against respiratory diseases. It was claimed that it would also cure certain gall diseases. It was also at this source, that Tsar Peter the Great came for a treatment in 1717. The pavilion and the construction around the source were established in 1651 by Count de BURGSDORFF. In 1979 the monument was completely restored by the Tourist Office in Spa, with the support of the Directorate-General for Tourism.
Limborgh mentioned this source as far back as 1559, when he was describing the sources of Spa. Until 1850, the spring water ran freely through the meadows. Only then was it collected to be drunk. Famous musicians and composers, including Giacomo MEYERBEER and Charles GOUNOD regularly visited the source. Hence the beautiful Meyerbeer hike, which connects the Barisart Source with the Geronstère Source. A trink-Halle has been built between a romantic cave and two ponds. It is located next to a restaurant. In the adjacent forest you can visit some other sources. Two of them, protected in a small pavilion, are certainly worth a visit: the Pia-Source and the Delcor-Source.
Limborgh mentioned this source as far back as 1559, when describing Spa's sources. Until 1850, the spring water freely flowed through the meadows. Only then was it collected to be drunk. Famous musicians and composers, including Giacomo MEYERBEER and Charles GOUNOD, regularly visited the source. Hence the beautiful Meyerbeer hike, which connects the Barisart Source to the Geronstère Source. A Trinkhalle has been built between a romantic cave and two ponds. In the adjacent forest, you can visit some of the other sources. Two of them are especially worth a visit: the Pia Source and the Delcor Source.